Chunky Mermaid Tail Blanket


Okay, so I worked on this blanket about 2 weeks. It was so simple and I just kind of went with it. This is a super super basic mermaid tail blanket. Perfect for beginners! It only uses a couple stitches and then some sewing at the end. My kiddos love this blanket because it is so soft and extremely warm! I made it with Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn in Phoenix Azalea and it took 10 skeins for a lap size blanket. If you want it to be able to cover your arms too, I'd add 2-3 more. Or if you want it to be kid size, you'll probably only need around 8. This pattern makes it really easy to adjust it to the size you want.
This is also a good project for a birthday or Christmas gift. It only took me about 2 weeks to make it but I was working on some other projects in between. You know how it is, can't ever just have one project at a time. I know I'm guilty of having at least 6 right now. 🙈 

What you'll need:

  • 10 mm or 11 mm crochet hook (this pattern works with both)
  • 10 skeins of chunky yarn
  • scissors
  • yarn needle

Abbreviations:

  • Chain (ch)
  • Single crochet (sc)
  • Half double crochet (hdc)
  • Double crochet (dc)
  • Slip stitch (sl st)
  • Back loop (bl)

Instructions:

Tail

Ch 30
Row 1- hdc in the 3rd chain and hdc across the row.
Row 2- ch 2, turn, hdc in bl
*Row 3- ch 2, turn, hdc in bl till 2nd to last stitch.
Row 4, ch 2, turn, hdc in bl across the row.*
 Repeat * to * till end of row 14.

*Row 15- ch 2, turn, hdc in bl till end of row. 2 hdc in last stitch.
Row 16- ch 2, turn, hdc in bl till end of row.*
 Repeat * to * till end of row 26.

Connect tail on the straight side with a sl st. You'll start working on the body from there.

Body

Starting at the sl st
Round 1- ch 1, sc around the edge, sl st to join. (you should have about 38 stitches)
Round 2- ch 2, hdc in each stitch in the round. sl st to join.
Round 3- ch 2, *hdc in next 2, 2 hdc in every 3rd stitch* 
     Repeat * to * till end of the round. sl st to join.
Round 4- ch 3, *dc in next 4, 2 dc in every 5th stitch*
     Repeat * to * till the end of the round. sl st to join.
Round 5-9- ch 3, dc in each stitch in the round. sl st to join. *don't join at the end of round 9*
Row 10-35- ch 3, turn, dc till the end of the row.
Row 36- ch 1, sc across till the end of the row. 

Fold the edges of the tails up to where the tail and body connect, use your yarn needle to sew about 5 stitches together on both sides of the tail. 

You can close the bottom but I left mine open because I like to be able to stick my feet out the bottom.

Then you just weave in the ends and it is finished!! 



pub-2537575722452096

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to do with all your scrap yarn!!

So I'm sure you also have a big stash of scraps and leftover yarn like I do! Now the question is, what do we do with it! Well I have ...